Robert,
I'm thinking you will have to use the Merge program. I would think that
Legacy imports what it gets without using any "cleaning" step, probably
since that "cleaning" step is available with the merge programming.

Sometimes two people are very similar in data entry, and you don't want
Legacy to make the assumption that they are the same person. And also,
sometimes genealogists do enter a person in their tree more than once,
without knowing it, and so when they use the merge function, Legacy points
out these connections, helping them to intelligently connect two lines they
weren't previously aware of.

I don't know all this for sure from a programming standpoint, but I have
used GEDCOM imports, then merges, and that is when Legacy has pointed out
the same people to me.

I hope this helps,
Susan