I converted from Legacy several years ago, at about the number of
people you have in your database.  In view of the fact that Legacy 7
seems to have some new sourcing methods, I would wait until  you get
Legacy 7 upgrade (sounds like you will get the upgrade shortly
anyway), and then tackle a cleanup of your sources.  It sounds to me
like even experienced Legacy users may have to adjust / clean up some
of their sourcing when they get the upgrades, and personally, i think
thats a positive think.  I had no clue about sourcing when I started
out, and a good cleanup is probably way overdue.  Its a lot easier to
do 4500 people, than 45000 people.

As far as the notes go, well...think of it as a minor inconvenience,
and tackle it on a regular schedule and it will get done. Legacy is so
much easier and robust than FTM that it is worth the front end
aggravation.  I do keep both programs for the sole reason that I can
immediately help other family members who do not have Legacy, and I
can still use the FTM cds this way