Yes, it does seem to matter which source is merged into the other one. The old source needs to be merged into the new one.

From: "Dede Holden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 7:34 AM
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Source Template Conversion Tool

Add the new source with the template.
Combine the old source with the new source.  The new source will have
a bullet beside it,indicating that it was generated with the Source
Template.
I don't think it matters which one you choose first when you are
combining.  The progam recognizes the source created with the new
template.
Verify that your Source Details are accurate.
I have converted several of my sources this way and everything has
been handled beautifully by Legacy.  The source detail stayed where it
belonged, with the appropriate person.

Dede Holden