Gail Nestor wrote
I decided to start a new topic here for this question. I created a new master source for a census. Then I merged an existing master source used by 5 individuals into the new master source. The master source looked good and the source detail does seem to have stayed attached to the new master.

The problem is that, while I can see the beginning of the "old" detail on the assigned sources screen, I cannot access it to update it. When I click "Edit Detail," the new Source Detail template pops up with empty fields. I need a way to get to my old data to show up somewhere so that I can use it to update the new fields.

This is how I do it. Let's say you have an old style Master Source named Old Master and you create a new one with SourceWriter and call it New Master. You merge Old Master into New Master.

You go to Joe Bloggs's Assigned Sources screen and select the line which shows New Master. If necessary, resize the columns so you can see all of the text in the Detail column. In the lower half of the screen, select the Output tab and the radio button for Show Entire Source. You can now see the old Source Detail and, in the lower section, any Source Text and Source Detail you had with Old Source.

Now click on Cite a Master Source and select New Master again. Keep the new Add the Source Detail window about 1/2 full screen size and by moving it around as necessary you can see all the old text behind it which you want to copy. You can't actually copy and paste, you will have to read and re-type. When you are finished you will have two rows showing New Master - the top one is the old version, which you now delete, and the bottom one is the new, SourceWriter version.

That sounds a bit long-winded, but it isn't hard to do and doesn't take long.

... And now that I've typed all that, Geoff will be along saying the Source Conversion tool is ready!!
.
--
Jenny M Benson