To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Mills inconsistency

Michele-

It depends on what else was asked that year but not asked in other
years.  Sometimes that is viewed as more useful or more important. Note
that in 1870 they asked if Father was foreign born, Mother was foreign
born, and if you were eligible to vote.

Some years they asked about the number of slaves the property owned had.
Obviously the question no longer applies today.

In 1900, they asked about Citizenship, how long a person had been in
this country (useful in researching immigration papers),

In 1910, they asked about about the "Mother of how many children"? And
then they asked how many of those children were living? The answer could
be the mother had eight children, and six were living for example during
that census year. That information is useful in informing the researcher
that by 1910, Kathy had eight children. So the researcher begins to look
for eight kids.  He knows that by 1910, two were no longer living. That
is a clue.

Mills wrote her book in hopes that the reader would use her examples for
consistencies, yes, but she had to change her examples based on what the
census (whatever year) offered. If you decide to follow her examples,
your sources will be consistent, even though it appears to differ from
census year to census year, they will be the same for same census to
same census. That was one of the primary goals for Ms. Mills.

Legacy has a blank sample of sources for the every year, I believe. It
is under Books and Other, select the Forms Center button, and then go to
US Federal. You can compare and contrast them, perhaps seeing the
differences on blank sheets will help.

Robert

Michele Lewis wrote:
Ok, now I am confused.  Mills is supposed to make sourcing more
consistent but it isn't!  Yesterday I put in census records for
1850-1930 (all the years that have names and not just numbers).  For
each year the source writer asks for different information.  In some
years it asks for the "person of interest" and some years not.  In
some years it askes for the dwelling and family number and in some
years only the dwelling number. All of this info is available for all
of those years but sometimes it asks for it and sometimes if doesn't.
I don't get it.

michele