There is no magical merge on import. You must first import the data into Legacy. During the import some things can be cleaned. After the import, you should clean all the data as much as possible. Once the data is in one database and cleaned, then perform a merge. Even after several merge combinations you will still find a few people that are not detected by the merge tools. Those you will have to spot by looking at the name lists, marriage lists, index view, and elsewhere but the majority will be resolved by effective use of the merge tools. By cleaning and standardizing the data, you increase the likelihood that matches will be found by the software.

One precaution that I always follow is to never import new data into my main cleaned database. I first import, clean, and merge new data in a separate database and then when I feel that it is ready I import all or parts of it into my main file using the split screen tool. After that import, another series of merges needs to be done in the main database to fully incorporate the new data.

Hope this helps.  Enjoy your research.
Ron Taylor