That is what I do.  Caveats - my file is currently relatively small - less
than 2000 people.  I started doing the "higher than next" RIN thing when I
was cleaning up the several aborted starts at Legacy I had laying around.
The normal RINs were similar from one file to the next and simply setting
the imported file to start at 2001 made it easy to compare, easy to see new
unmerged individuals, and gave me an additional data point (the RIN) to
compare.

I start with a copy of my main file and a new legacy DB as the "merge from"
file ("merge from" could be one of those aborted initial starts or from a
gedcom).

Take care,
Melody
If not now, when?