To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 1:22 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] More basic questions

Hi Jane,

1 & 3 - How you do your place names is up to you, but you will find recommendations which may help you decide what you're going to do.

Outside of the USA, you will find that the four-place convention you've described doesn't work too well, and many of us not in the USA don't use it. Even within the USA, there are a few places where it doesn't work I understand (from reading this list). But if you want to use the Geo-location Database (GLDb), it is needed, and many do use that convention. Think about where your research is taking you, and perhaps that will help you decide which way you want to work.

I don't use the four-field convention. When I only know the location of an event in general terms, I put in what I know without placeholder commas, even if it is only the country. Works fine for me, and I don't use the GLDb. I'm sure there are limitations in this method, but whatever they are they don't bother me at this point in time.

For places within a town or city, you can put them in the Location field or you can put the details in the address field - see the + next to birth, christening, etc fields, or the house icon in the marriage window.

2 - The description field, separate from the notes field, lets you format the text more than if there was only the one field. You can customise the sentence construction, either for all instances of a particular event or for one occurance of it.

Don't feel that you *have* to put something in the description field just because it is there. You might have events where you don't want to use it, and that is fine.

For census events, I have settled on a format where I put the age and occupation in the description field, and have the sentence read: "[HeShe] appeared on the census [onDate] [inPlace] as a [Desc].[Sources] [Notes]". This means that my 3x-great-grandfather Robert IRELAND's entry in the 1851 England census reads: "He appeared on the census in 1851 in Langtoft, Yorkshire, England as a 36-year-old blacksmith". The description field contains "36-year-old blacksmith", and there is nothing in the notes. The full transcription of the household is in the Source Text, and prints in the endnotes.

There are many ways of presenting census events in your database, and this is one I have settled on after reading this list for a while and reading the examples others have posted.

Don't forget to look up the Help when you've got questions - I've learned a lot from reading the notes there, as well as from this list.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
--