Beth, I "Mark as Read" most of the messages from the list. I scan the
subject lines and see if there's anything of interest and only read those.
I mark the rest as read.  I keep all the messages from the list so that I
can quickly search them if I have a particular question.  But if I'm not
interested in the info right now, I just skip the reading.

HOWever, I used Google mail and it threads the messages for me.  I don't
have to see all the individual messages singly and so can "Mark as Read" all
message related to a specific topic.

Take care,
Melody