Legacy 7 has a tool called "Tree Finder" (accessed from the View
menu) that I think is designed to show the individual at the top of
the various family trees.  But it apparently does so by looking for
the individual with the smallest RIN in a tree.

There is a flaw in that logic:  on one of the trees it found for me
it listed an individual with an RIN of [1].  Problem is that I have
since added
2 earlier generations to him (his father and grandfather) so
properly it is his grandfather (RIN 1227) that should be at the head
of that tree instead of individual RIN [1].

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there another way to find the
earliest individual in a tree?

Legacy is not doing anything wrong. According to the Help that is
included with the program, Tree Finder does exactly as you have found:
counts the number of separate trees and associates each tree with the
individual having the lowest RIN in that tree. What you're looking for
would be an enhancement to the program.

That enhancement would make more sense.  In looking for the lowest RIN
Legacy is obviously trying to determine the top of the tree, and although it sometimes succeeds it also sometimes provides misleading results. It should not be too difficult for Legacy to refine this by simply searching to see if the individual with the lowest RIN has parents - or grandparents.

No big deal, one can also do it manually. It just makes you wonder what other logic Legacy uses to determine its "separate trees".

Jeff