On 24 Jul 2008  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Legacy 7 has a tool called "Tree Finder" (accessed from the View menu)
> that I think is designed to show the individual at the top of the
> various family trees.  But it apparently does so by looking for the
> individual with the smallest RIN in a tree.

The Tree Finder is not designed to show the individual at the top of
the tree.  It is designed to identify the separate trees in a family
file and to identify each one by the lowest RIN used in it.  You also
have to "Refresh" it every time otherwise it displays an old listing.

A tree may have more than one ancestral line so how could Legacy
determine which one of the possible many lines you'd want the
earliest ancestor for?

> Is there another way to find the earliest individual in a tree?

Lots of them.  One way is to tag all the individuals of a tree
(Entire Tree) then generate (Print) a CSV of them with birthdates
using the Name List (with Search button for the Tag number).  Open
the CSV file in your spreadsheet program and sort it on the birthdate
column.

Note: you may need to change the spreadsheet's birthdate column to
"Text" otherwise it could mess up the date display.  Depending on
your date format you may also need to copy the birthdate column to a
YYYYMMDD one to get it to sort correctly.

Cheers, -- Dave N.
--
  David Naylor, Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada.
---