Not sure if what I do will cause you any function problems mentioned, but I
have not come across any.

What I do is:

Mary Jones[[nml]] (meaning 'not my line') which will sort this line with the
Jones' but are separated from those who are in my family line.

Hope this helps a little.

Connie Spindel

Connie's Family History Pages

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~familyhistorypages/

Maternal Surnames (in US) >> Andersen, Anthony, Batson, Carson, Cullum,
Davis, Dickerson, Gibson, Harold, Hampson, Huston, Kennett, Larsen, Logan,
Mann, Powers, Robison, Seaman, Shaw, Skinner and Sumners

  _____