Pati:

You are basically going to have to chose one or the other or live with
conversion losses between the two programs;
but, given you are a Mac user running Windows using Parallels, you are
used to doing things the hard way.

I use Legacy for all my inputs and formal database updating.
In the past, I used a GEDCOM transfer to FTM just to do Charting that
was not available in Legacy; but, I did not do any database updating
in FTM.
The GEDCOM conversion losses were normally ok, since I was just doing
Charting with basic BDM information.

In Version 7 of Legacy, we now have wonderful Charting capabilities
and file attaching capabilities, so my need for FTM has gone away.
By the way, if you do pictures in FTM, it stores those pictures in
their database and it is difficult to get them out if you want to use
them elsewhere.
Legacy just links to your pictures, files, videos, etc, so the
pictures are always retained outside of the Legacy database and you
have access to them using your Windows explorer.

Anyway, good luck with your trials and tribulations of Mac, Windows,
Parallels, FTM, Legacy, etc.
Just a final note -- Unix, GenBox, & Rootsmagic may be in your near future.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:52 AM, aplebary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a little different situation.  I use Legacy as I prefer the way
> everything is arranged for viewing,  I also use FTM for the online searching
> and attaching documents to people.   I know that I have some information in
> and attached to FTM that is not in my Legacy database and vice versa.   Does
> anyone have experience with comparing the two and somehow merging  the
> information.  (Each may have additons that were made while working in one
> then moving to the other) Gets very confusing trying to keep them the same.
>    I have also been experimenting with Mac programs since my main computer
> is a Mac.   (I use Legacy and FTM on my Mac within a Parallels interface)
> The Mac programs  have some wonderful interfaces but lack in the online
> search capabilites and other areas.  I also know that Gedcom transferring is
> not always as accurate as I would like.
>
> Pati
>

> Legacy User Group guidelines:  http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp
> Archived messages: