From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Geoff Rasmussen
Sent: Saturday, 16 August 2008 2:56 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] V7 Sources: Nifty formatting lost in gedcom output

Dave and I met about this yesterday and have some ideas.

First of all, one of our great challenges when developing the SourceWriter was
to ensure that no information is lost when sharing via GEDCOM. Because the
GEDCOM standard does not have specific fields for the specific SourceWriter
fields, Legacy has to "break apart" the nice EE-style citations into the source
fields as accepted by GEDCOM, namely title, author, publication, etc. So, while
no SourceWriter information is lost, the formatting is not retained when
exporting.

But...the SourceWriter citations are so nice :) that it'd sure be great if when
publishing to the web, such as to TNG, WorldConnect, and other GEDCOM-based
publishing cites, that Legacy's SourceWriter citations were preserved.

Therefore, we have some ideas about adding a new GEDCOM Export option. When you
go to the GEDCOM Export screen, we could add new choice under the "Produce File
For" drop-down list called "The Web" or "GEDCOM-based publishing" or something
like that. With this option selected, when the GEDCOM is uploaded to the site
of choice, the entire citation will read as it is displayed in the
Footnote/Endnote Citation of the output preview. This new export option would
also set certain privacy defaults and others.

If this makes sense to any of you, would this solution be adequate?

Thanks,

Geoff Rasmussen
Millennia Corporation
[EMAIL PROTECTED]