Ruth it is my understanding that you cannot go back to previous
versions with the fdb file once upgraded and used in a newer version.
If you create a GEDCOM export, you should be able to open it in
version 6 or earlier, but not the actual legacy database.

So please be sure to GEDCOM ALL of your active files prior to
reverting to an older version.

Jess M