Michele,

Any system is better than mine which expanded from disorganised to chaos. Your
way of naming files looks fine except it is better if you do not use commas or
spaces as these can cause serious problems when used in web pages - using an
underscore is better and safe eg. Doe_John_photo_01.jpg. You may not be
thinking of creating web pages now, but think of converting them all should you
ever do!

Folders are a bit of a compromise between a very large number and only one. You
could do this in various ways, one of which would be to have a folder, say,
LegacyPics, containing subfolders Surnames_A, Surname_B etc. I would also
suggest having your photos and documents in a separate master folder.

When you move your pics it will be necessary to tell Legacy where you have put
the first in each folder and Legacy will then find the others. You have no need
to worry about the multimedia back-ups as provided Legacy knows where they are
it will back them up.

Hope that helps a bit ... and good luck!

*New* Insert Pictures Into your Web Pages - Blogs
http://www.fergys.co.uk
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: [LegacyUG] pictures and scanned documents
> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 10:42:23 -0400
>
> I have never scanned photos or documents and attached them to my file but
> that is what I have decided to do (finally). It should only take me a
> couple of years :)
>
> My question is... what is the best way to do the file names so that
> everything stays organized. I am thinking something like...
>
> Doe, John - photo 01
> Doe, John - photo 02
> Doe, John - obituary (can use numbers if more than one)
> Doe, John - death certificate
> Doe, John - marriage license
> Doe, John - deed 01
>
> Do you keep everything in a single file? (I am thinking that if I titled
> the files this way it would be easy to locate).
>
> What system do you use?
>
> If you use "back up multimedia" option do the photos/documents have to be in
> the default path? (and if so, can someone give the proper path because I
> scanned and saved a photo as a test and I just saved it to the desktop so my
> default path is now to there)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michele

Win New York holidays with Kellogg’s & Live Search
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/107571440/direct/01/