Hi Michele, there are many different methods of naming your scans and photos,
the method that you choose is up to you. The method that I use is quite simple.
If I have a photo that is linked to a person (picture, announcements, cemetery
stone, etc.), I use the person's name: John Smith, for additional photos or
scans these would be called John Smith (1), John smith (2) and so on. If you
have in your program more than one John Smith, then I would include the persons
RIN number; John Smith (2354), John Smith (2354) (1), etc. If I have photo's or
scans relating to a couple (married, common law, divorced, etc.) then I would
use the couples names: John Smith and Mary Roberts, John Smith and Mary Roberts
(1) etc.

 Since you are just starting, I would suggust that you learn a bit about what
type of format that you want to use for your scans and pictures. There are many
types, the choice is yours to make, some of these include; TIF, BMP, JPG, etc.
I only mentioned these three file types as they are the ones that I have been
using, the TIF format creates a large file but is recommended as the best of
the three for saving, BMP's files are not as large af TIF's and the JPG's are
the smallest of the three. I will just briefly mention here that when making
changes to your scans or photos, then saving these changes, you will also get
the best quality with TIF's followed by BMP's and the poorest quality with
JPG's.

On my computer I have two drives, I have my Legacy program installed on my "C"
drive. In the Legacy program or folder there is another folder called "Data",
this is where I store all my photo that are attached to Legacy program, the
photo's and scans in this folder are all JPG's and I have reduced these to a
size of no more then 900 pixels in either width or height. When reducing a
written document to this size, it is hard to see the writing when it is
attacher to a report, what I do is I attach the document to an event and then
transcribe the document in the notes section for the event.

I have attached the smaller JPG format pictures and scans to my Legacy program
because when I produce a Descendant Report and want to share it with someone by
email with the pictures embedded, the size of the PDF file is small enough to
attach it and send.

On my "D" drive on my Computer I have a file folder set up that I have named
"Legacy Backup", in this folder I copy my Legacy Data Files and my Legacy
Multimedia Files, also in this folder I have another folder set up called
Legacy BMP Pictures, where I save all of my BMP and TIF photos and scans that
have the exact same file names as the JPG's that are attached to my Legacy
program.

When I run across a photo or document, I will save or scan it as a BMP and save
it to my "D" drive>Legacy Backup folder>Legacy BMP Pictures folder. Then I have
to go to this folder and locate the scan or picture, then copy it to the "C"
drive>Legacy Folder>Data Folder, then attach it to my event, person or source.

I hope this helps you out and is not too long and confusing.
Leo