-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lill Ann
Parry
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 6:44 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup
Subject: [LegacyUG] v7 to v6 with v7 gedcom

Since this has been a hot topic, I thought I would experiment to see the
outcome.
[I am running on a laptop with XP pro, v7 deluxe installed in
c\programs\legacy]

I installed v6 deluxe to C:\legacy and created an empty database. A side
note, I had saved the usr files from v6 before I upgraded to v7 and
copied them into the newly installed v6.

I closed v6, opened v7 deluxe and created two gedcoms with different
names. One with 5.5 option, adding photo, path, event description to
include all the options. I also created a second gedcom using the Legacy
gedcom option with no changes to the default.

I closed v7, opened v6 and imported the 5.5 gedcom into the newly
created empty database. I repeated the process with the Legacy gedcom to
another empty database. in v6.

Both gedcoms resulted in the same number of individuals and families.
Both created the same error log with one unrecognized field [I meant to
copy it, but was a bit tired at this point, but it was one that
contained all the text/comments for sources based on what was copied to
the notes in the v6 database]

The major issue with both gedcoms was that

any source that contained text/comments created in v7 was GONE. All
source text that had been entered in v6 remained in the database, but
that which had been added since I upgraded did not import, it was also
missing altogether from any of the error logs. All the sources in v7 had
been created with the basic source writer or using existing sources that
had been created in past versions of Legacy.

To explain this a little better, My method of sourcing is to select a
master source, enter the specifics in the description field, and enter a
date. I use the text/comments to copy and paste the specific
information. For example, the Norwegian census data is posted in a
database format. I copy it to notepad, then paste it into the
text/comments field of the source citation. I do the same with IGI/VRI
extracted records in my citations. All of the citations that were
created in v7 were missing the copied text/comments portion of the
citation. All of the citations that had been created in v6 or earlier
contained the pasted text. This was double checked to confirm that the
data was in v7,but did not import with the gedcom in either option.

Lill Ann