Thanks to all who replied regarding my problem. I suspect it may be a
compression issue as most of you have suggested. I see same problem on 2
computers. a desktop with XP and a laptop with vista. Neither has a working
photo editor now. The desktop had problems and had to be restored to
original so haven't yet reinstalled some programs and laptop is so new I
haven't got around to it yet. I'll check it tomorrow with my wife's
computer.

The problem TIF file shows creation a year ago. I know I scanned it over 7
yearrs ago but I recall seeing some huge Legacy source files a while back
and reduced file size using compression and resizing so probably lost
ability to view in Legacy at that time.

I'll let you all know soon if this is indeed the case.

Thank you all.

--
Richard Van Wasshnova
http://gw.geneanet.org/vanwasshnova