Lavern Hall wrote:
Hello,

I have always heard that it's best to begin entering data with yourself as #1.
I've done this and know it is a practice followed on this list. That
said, I recently
attended a genealogy conference where the speaker was strongly suggesting
that if you have only one child, that child should be entered as #1
and by doing
so, a clear picture of both parent's families would result.  Has
anyone tried this?

I brought up the fact that starting with the child will change the
"usual" numbers
seen on a pedigree form, but was countered with "Numbers are not important."

The fact that I have one child is allowing me to consider this option,
but after
entering hundreds of names into Legacy, I'd hate to have to start over and I
won't do it without the expert advice on this list. Does the speaker's
suggestion
have merit?  Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,
Lavern Hall

It seems to me that you and the speaker are talking apples and oranges. You start your research with yourself because that is the person you already know the most about. This provides the most clues about where to look next. It is just logical and common sense. The numbers mean nothing more than a way to uniquely identify a person.

The speaker was talking about generating a report that shows a clear picture of the child's ancestry. Your speaker may have been a good genealogist (though I doubt it) but apparently knows little of modern genealogy computer programs. (a good genealogist would at least have a passing knowledge.)

You can start entering your genealogy information with your 5th ggrandfather and as long as all the information is entered and linked correctly you can generate any report that your program of choice is capable of producing, clearly showing your child's relationships to his/her ancestors.

I wouldn't worry about that speakers advice and just keep doing what you are doing, especially using a program as versatile as Legacy.

--
Gene Y.
n2kvs

** $10 OFF when you spend $50 or more in our store.
  Use coupon code: ‘Legacy2008’ at checkout. Offer expires 10/31/08 **