JLB wrote
But it sounds like what you need is a way to correct past mistakes. I don't think the dictionary will do that for you.

It rather depends how a mistake was treated in the past. If at some time a spell check was run and the word "familli" was flagged, but then added to the dictionary, it will not be flagged up as incorrect again. In that case, the word needs to be deleted from the User Dictionary and then the spell check run again so that word can be corrected to "famille" and that word added to the dictionary.

To delete an incorrect word from the dictionary, locate the folder named Dictionaries within the Legacy folder and look for the file named userdic-??.txl where ?? represents the language (UK, US, AU etc) you are using. This file can be opened in Notepad and just delete the line with the unwanted word and save the file with exactly the same name.
--
Jenny M Benson

** $10 OFF when you spend $50 or more in our store.
  Use coupon code: ‘Legacy2008’ at checkout. Offer expires 10/31/08 **