I am almost certain the files were not deleted on their own. They may actually still be there but just not be visible. That can happen if the partition table gets corrupted. If the drive otherwise seems to be functioning you may want to take it to a GOOD computer shop and let them check it out. There are also a number of software products that can often recover files that seem to be gone. Even a drive that has been reformatted can often be recovered, IF you don't try to write anything else to the drive in the mean time. So don't assume everything is lost.

External hard drives (not flash drives) are no different than internal drives. When data is lost, the most common causes are mechanical failure, corruption of the partition table as noted above, and user error. It would be the rare virus that would affect the one drive and not the main so that is unlikely in your case.

Gary Templeman

----- Original Message ----- From: "DianeLeMasson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 12:05 PM
Subject: [LegacyUG] Warning, Storage Disks

Hi

I apologize, this is nothing to do with Legacy but there has been
discussions several times on safe places to store your Legacy files.

What I am about to tell you is what I just experience with my external
hard drive that I thought was safe enough for all my genealogy files.
After reading many messages about the storing of our genie stuff here
on this list I went & bought one, some time ago.
I stored some folders & files. Have not been in it since, either to add or
to delete. It had been plugged in all this time, never
disconnected,otherwards
have not touch it.
I decided to do some housecleaning on my computer, rearrange stuff,
delete old files, etc. I went to look into this external hard drive to see
what I had put there & to my shock... saw absolutely NOTHING!
It was totally empty! Somehow,someway this machine deleted itself
of everything I put on it. I do not know how it did this but it did on its
own.
I am proof it can happen with an external hard drive so be aware.
I am so sick over this for I have no idea what I did put in it, I trusted it
do it's job & did not make a note of what I put in it.

Off list, if anyone has any insight of what could of caused this I would
very
much like to hear from you. I know I can never recover what I lost, I still
like
to learn why it did happen, if possible.

Diane/NJ