It is the descendents of genealogy hobbyists I have in mind. "We" may update our media but after we are gone, our children who may not have the same interest in genealogy may not (things are different for LDS members), and when their descendents suddenly develop an interest in their family history, that is when media obsolence will be a problem. It won't be a problem if on paper.

Of course, for LDS members, genealogy is a multigenerational ungoing religious duty and therefore what I said does not apply to them. But not all genealogists are LDS.

Jeff

Jenny M Benson wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
People will always be able to read paper prints. But can we really
be sure that CDs, DVD, even external drives will still be easily
readable 20 years from now without esoteric equipment?  If kept in
some program format (Legacy, or other genealogy program) will
someone 50 years from now be able to find a copy of the program (or
even Windows) to open these files?

But a type of storage media doesn't suddenly become obsolete overnight
and few people will abandon their Legacy tree for 50 years.

When we know a new medium is taking over (as when 3.5" disks began to
take over from floppies) we will migrate our working files and
backups. If Legacy announce that an older version of the program will
no longer be supported and its files will not be read by a new
version, we will upgrade Legacy.  If we pass on having made no
arrangements for the dispersal of our records and no family members
are interested, our hard drives will be wiped and our disks put in
the trash.