With respect, Boyd. it has and the answer was No, you cannot search them in the
way you suggest.

The subsequent discussion was concerned whether Legacy could and/or should do
anything about it.

Biirths, marriages and deaths *are* events and a location is always attached to
an event of one sort or another. At least I cannot think of an instance where I
would use a stand-alone location.Ron Ferguson
_____________________________________________________________________ *New
Tutorial* Publish your Web Pages  - Blogshttp://www.fergys.co.uk View the
Grimshaw Family Tree at: http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/ For The Fergusons of
N.W. England See: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
_____________________________________________________________________ > From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com> Subject: RE:
[LegacyUG] Searching Location notes field> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:17:11
+1300> > Hi folks,> > This string has gone totally off the course of my
original question relating> to Location Notes. It is clear that most
respondents have never even> noticed the Notes field that is associated with
each Location!> > If you bring up the Master Location list and edit any
location you will see> a Notes field. This can be used for recording changes to
the name of the> place as political boundaries change or the place itself
changes its name,> historical notes about the place, population at any
particular time, or> anything of interest that relate to the place itself.> >
This is nothing to do with events, except that you will generally have a>
Location associated with an event. The Location Notes relate to that> location
itself and therefore to any other part of Legacy in which you use> that
Location - births, deaths, marriages, events or any other piece of> information
that has a Location associated with it.> > There is currently no provision that
I can find to search this field for a> particular word or something that
contains a particular word. It is not one> of the fields listed in Search >
Detailed search > Where to look, although> that list includes all sorts of
other fields (and some like address are> covered in great detail even down to
telephone numbers).> > Does anyone know a way to search these Notes? Is this
something for a> suggested improvement?> > Boyd > > -----Original Message----->
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jenny M>
Benson> Sent: Wednesday, 19 November 2008 4:28 a.m.> To:
LegacyUserGroup@LegacyFamilyTree.com> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Searching
Location notes field> > > Marion Rainey wrote> >Any suggestions you could make
would be greatly appreciated.  The E> >book sounds really good, but I can't
afford it at the moment; likewise > >the same for the Legacy videos.  They do a
great job.  My biggest > >complaint is that after all the reading and digging,
I have yet to see > >an actual example of how a census or a vital record looks
when properly > >entered into Legacy. > > Are you meaning how the Source
Citation looks, or how the "Event" itself > looks. I presume you mean the
former. There are many versions of > "properly entered" according to who you
ask, so the "right way" for you > will be however you choose to do it, really.
Most importantly, bear in > mind that the purpose of a Source Citation is to
allow you or anyone > else to see exactly how you arrived at a conclusion and -
where possible > - to replicate the steps.> > For example, you might use a
Birth Certificate as a Source for an > Individual's name and date of birth.
Your Source Citation needs to > identify that you used a Birth Certificate and
state where that Birth > Certificate can be found and/or where a copy of it can
be obtained.> > If you use the Templates in Legacy 7 you will find that most of
the > common Sources are covered and they really do lead you step by step >
through the citation. Each field to be completed has a title which > indicates
what it should contain and if you hover your cursor over the > field name you
can read the full version of the grey text explanation > that appears in each
field before you start typing. (Sometimes its > truncated in the field.)> > Try
creating a little test file and work with that, trying out different >
templates and see how the output looks and decide whether you want to > change
things at all. You can always use the Override option if you > aren't entirely
happy with the result.> > > Also, I'm a little hung up on the anatomy of some
of my vital records> >certificates.  For instance, there may be more than one
set of numbers > >on a birth certificate.  What do they represent and which
does one list > >and how?  I'm sure both sets are important. > > This depends
very much on the issuing authority. I can only speak for > English and Welsh
Certificates which have 1 or 2 numbers: all have the > number of the
Certificate itself and GRO-issued Certificates have a > number identifying the
application for the Certificate. The latter is > not important and the former
not really important to the Citation as > someone else can get a Certificate
for the same registration which will > have a different number on it. What *is*
important (in England and > Wales) is the Reference Number used to obtain the
Certificate. If the > Certificate is a GRO copy the reference is usually in the
form of > Quarter date, Registration District, Volume No and Page No. This is >
what someone needs to know if they are to obtain a Certificate the same > as
the one you are citing.> > If you are talking about Certificates from a
specific state in USA or > Australia or from elsewhere, then please say which
and I'm sure someone > with knowledge of that region will help you.> > -- >
Jenny M Benson>
See the most popular videos on the web
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/115454061/direct/01/