Elizabeth Richardson wrote
To answer the OP's question, I would enter what the source says as guessing at anything would be just as inaccurate. At some future time, you may learn a the actual location and you can enter it then, even adding a note as to the earlier entry if you like.

As far as the Source Citation goes I would definitely give the location exactly as in the given Source - "America." But for my own benefit I would enter something in the Location field in <>. Such is my ignorance, I don't know how the "colonised" part of North America that later became part of the USA would have been referred to at that time, but if I was fairly sure that that was what was meant by "America" (rather than Mexico, "Canada" or wherever) I would enter the location as <American Colonies> or <Colony of America> or whatever the correct term was.

This indicates to me that I am not entirely certain yet, but it's a good starting point for further research.
--
Jenny M Benson