Hi Melanie,

The was I see it is, if you wish to site an individual email as a source you
use 'group by individual emails'.  If you have a series of emails to/from
one person you need to use 'group by correspondant'.  Personally, it is
unlikely that I would use one email as a source, so I have only used the
'group by correspondant'.

The way I do it is, after selecting the template, fill in as much as is
necessary/ possible for the Source info.  I then attach each email (from me
and the correspondant) to the multimedia section, in chronological order.
One problem is that people often keep the same subject line for a series of
emails, so I name each attached email in the following way: e.g. "2005 12 23
(09.28) - Alice Bloggs - RE  Bloggs FH"   This represents the date the email
is sent (which for sorting purposes I always put as YYYY MM DD), the time
(in case you get more than one email on the same day with the same subject
line, the person who sent the email (either me or the correspondant), and
the subject line.  For ease, I use the 'name' of the email as the 'caption'.
(I know it means you get a really long file name, but it works for me)

I do use the 'overrides' in the Master source section to read something
like:

Foot/Endnote: Joe Bloggs [(E-ADDRESS) FOR PRIVATE USE,] to Alice Bloggs,
e-mail; privately held by Alice Bloggs.
Subsequent Citation: Joe Bloggs [(E-ADDRESS) FOR PRIVATE USE,] to Alice
Bloggs, e-mail; privately held by Alice Bloggs.
Bibliography: Bloggs, Joe. E-mail correspondence with Alice Bloggs.
Privately held by Alice Bloggs.

(I do hate the surname only 'default', especially if you have a family
database, where half of your surnames happen to be 'Bloggs'.  It just seems
lunacy to me!)

When I come to cite the source to individuals and the detail screen comes
up, for the 'subject line' I put: "Email Reference: 2005 11 27 (06.38) - Joe
Brookes - RE Brookes FH".  (Fill in the rest as you feel inclined.)  I then
copy the text of the particular email I am citing, in the 'Texts/Comments'
section.  I then have the option of using the text if I want to print out
the text with the source list.  (By the way, when I do this, I always leave
2 blank lines at the top of the 'Texts/Comments' box.  This has the effect
of leaving one line blank between the citation and the text.)

Personally, I hate using the 'Detailed screen' in Legacy, because it is
fiddly if you want to edit it later.

Now, I'm sure many would disagree with my way of working, so please read any
other responding posts before making your final decision.  I would hate for
you to try and use this system if there are others that appear much better.

Best of luck!

Best wishes

David

David S Brookes
Musical Director, The Brewood Singers
        www.brewoodsingers.co.uk
Organist & Choirmaster, Polesworth Abbey
        www.polesworthabbey.co.uk