Ron wrote:

>It would seem to be that our different reasons for publishing (in whatever
form) lead to different conclusions as to what standard of sourcing is
appropriate for the published output. This inevitably poses the question as
to what should be stored in our respected sources. A decision has to be made
at the outset because one cannot pick and choose what to exclude or include
when compiling a report. The answer, for me the "bare bones", whereas for
yourself (I think) a full citation. One could run two databases with
differing 'quality' of sources, but not for me, thank you.

Ron, you describe the situation well. Some of us are, by nature,
"minimalists" and others are "explainers." Obviously, I'm an "explainer." As
such, I'd ask: what's the harm in it?  Too many totally wrong genealogical
assertions, unfortunately, exist because someone did not understand a
"barebones" citation, guessed wrong about what it meant, and then put their
wrong guess into circulation as a fact. (My mama raised me on the old
cliché: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :)

>From another perspective: if we strip down our "working citations" to the
"barebones" that we might eventually publish, we are also stripping away our
own ability to evaluate exactly what we have--especially after the
recollection of that entire source has gone cold. Even an attached page
image doesn't tell us all we need, because looking at one page from a census
or one document from a collection is the same as isolating one person out of
a photograph and stripping away the whole context of the picture, no?

>For the last year I have been involved in a discussion with someone as to
whether we share the same nth grandfather. He has approached the family from
the female side and myself from the male side. We are both agreed the the
grandfather married a woman called Ann, but which Ann? By a process of
elimination he arrived at an Ann who married my grandfather, and to be fair
he has checked and doubled checked but cannot find a marriage that is an
'exact' fit and he may well be correct, probably is, but that does not meet
my standard of proof, As a result I will not publish the result.

Here in the U.S., when one feels they have developed a good case for an
identity--although no document specifically states the connection--the next
step is to develop a proof argument that follows the tenets of the
Genealogical Proof Standard and then submit the essay to a peer-reviewed
genealogical journal such as NGSQ. Has your long-distance cousin developed
such a proof argument?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG

*** Holiday discounts on Legacy 7.0, add-ons, books, and more. Visit
http://tinyurl.com/65rpbt. ***