I did some experiments and converted my FTM-16 files to Legacy a few
months ago. I found this method works best:

Create the GEDCOM file from FTM as follows:
1. From the File menu:  select Export File > Entire File.
2. Click the Save as type drop-down list and select GEDCOM.
3. In the File name field, type a name for the GEDCOM file. It must
have the extension .GED.
4. In the Save in field, select the drive and folder where you want to
place your file.
5. Click Save and Family Tree Maker displays the Export to GEDCOM dialog box.
6. Make your selections from the dialog box as follows –
Destination: FTW,
Version: 5.5,
Character set: ANSEL,
Check the Abbreviate tags box.
7. Click the OK button and the GEDCOM file will be created.

Importing Gedcom to Legacy 7:
On the Gedcom import screen
1. Check the following:
Check: Check for valid date formats during this import.
Check: The dates in the Gedcom are in English
Check: Put unrecognized items into notes field
Check: Sort events by date while importing
2. Select Customize
Under Note Options select: Lines are broken in the middle of words.

Hope this helps...

Lew