Ward, I appreciate your post. I used ME for 6 years and it never crashed on me. But I know that it was a miserable experience for many. I know Vista users for whom it is a miserable experience, though you are correct, it doesn't crash. Mary asked for opinions. I gave mine.

Elizabeth
researching the descendants of William and Sarah (Patterson) Thompson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ward Walker" <wnkwal...@rogers.com>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Computers

Elizabeth,

Others have responded already that Vista was working well for them, including for Legacy. I don't want to belabor the point, but just to add that in my experience, Windows ME was truly bad, crashing frequently, while Vista is very stable. People with bad ME experience should not be afraid of Vista. (Some may prefer the user interface of XP, although Vista can be made to look much like XP if that is the only concern.)

Now, 64-bit Vista is perhaps worth a hesitation, even though Sherry and others have reported success with Legacy. My experience a year ago at work was that some software packages would not install on 64-bit Vista (or on 64-bit XP). This is probably gradually being resolved.

I agree that a generous amount of RAM is advisable with Vista.

  Ward

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elizabeth Richardson" <erich...@worldnet.att.net>