Hi Allen

Of course! Thanks for reminding me! I must have been a little brain dead to have forgotten that tidbit, LOL. I just have never used it We share on our home network of 4 Macs and one WinXP and I sync up to "the cloud". I backup to Time Capsule daily and monthly to a separate firewire hard drive. I'll continue to use Dropbox for syncing my Legacy files between my two computers (much faster and more reliable than the cloud). It's the best way to go, in my opinion, for doing that.

Kathy

On Feb 8, 2009, at 11:32 PM, Allen Watson wrote:

Kathy,

I think Jim is referring to the "Drop Box" folder you will find in your username/Library/Public folder; it's standard in Mac OS X, Intel or not. And by turning on Sharing (in System Prefs) for that folder, any Mac on the same network can access that Drop Box folder. Problem is, ANYONE who has access
to your network will have read access to your Public folder, and write
access to Drop Box. And there is no automated copying up to the "cloud," which is why Jim uses Mozy, another "store it on the Internet" service, one
I've heard highly recommended.

Allen

From: Kathy Cardoza <kmacard...@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 07:25:10 -0800
To: Legacy <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Using Dropbox to sync Legacy

Jim

I'm confused (not hard to do   :) ....How does Dropbox come with Mac
OS? I must have missed the boat there. I should have mentioned before
that I store my Legacy Pictures folder in my Dropbox as well. That
way, the pictures I use in Legacy are always in sync on both
computers. And, by the way, the reason I put my Dropbox on my Mac side is that way, it is backed up hourly by Time Machine to my Time Capsule as are my Legacy data files and backups. It works much better that way
for backing up. I'd LOVE to put my entire Surnames folder from my Mac
side into Dropbox so that it, too, could always be synced to both
computers but that would exceed the 2GB free limit and I don't want to pay for yet another subscription. :) Yes on the response to 10 years
ago!  LOL

Kathy

 Visit the Azores GenWeb Project:
      http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/azoresindex.html