I am working with both Legacy and TNG and recently decided to use the
following simplified folder and naming system.  TNG "reads" Legacy links so
if you upload a Legacy "gedcom" to your TNG website, all links to photos etc
are updated at same time.

My Photos, source Documents and Histories are in six folders that live
inside my Legacy folder as follows:

Photos in Legacy & TNG
Documents in Legacy & TNG
Histories in Legacy & TNG

Photos Original
Documents Original
Histories Original

The "Originals" folders hold my orignal scans, and stuff.  I generally scan
at 300 dpi or better and save in these folders as a .tif file.   These
folders could be saved in another location but I find it easier when I am
working in Legacy to have all genealogy items in the Legacy folder so I can
quickly flip back and forth between folders.

Files are named very simply  PHOTO 00001.tif, PHOTO 00002.tif etc.  I call
my source document files SD 00001.tif, SD 00002.tif and so on, HIstories are
HIST 00001.wpd

To convert the image files to a smaller file size for use in Legacy books
and on the website,  I open the original file in Photoshop, go to File, then
Image Size, and change the Image Size to 72 dpi.  Usually this makes the
image much smaller physically (I go for 800 to 1200 pixels in either
direction or less).  Then I go to File, Save for Web, and save the file at
the Medium setting, with a goal of getting the final image below 50 kbs.  If
you do NOT want other users on the web to print your pics, you can reduce
the dpi even further and save at lower settings.

I save these smaller files in the Photos in Legacy & TNG folders as .jpgs
and add the letter W after the file name.  This tells me the file is very
small and ready for use in Legacy or on the web in TNG.  If a family member
wants a high resolution copy of the file I will send them the "Original"
file (of the same name).

I use my Adobe Bridge browser to add metadata such as the photographer,
image title, description, who the people are etc, and add keywords that
include the SURNAME & RIN #, so you can search in Adobe Bridge for all
photos for the person with RIN20265 , or for all photos with name CAMPBELL
as a keyword.

Using this system has also allowed me to tell at a glance where I left off
with converting photos for the web.  I also have a file folder, called Media
Recieved but not Filed, that I use as a temporary place for files I get from
others.

I may also set up a Google,Flickr or Snugmug album that can only be accessed
by family members and post my originals there.

Allison