Chick Lewis wrote
You mentioned database program.. rang a bell. I have Microsoft Office which does have Access. I changed the extension on my Legacy file to mdb. (using a copy -- not my main file) It works !!

It's not really important, but as it happens there is no need to change the extension. Just select All files (*.*) in the Files of Type field when you want to open your Legacy file and it will happily open the .fdb file.

The advantage of changing the extension is that it does remind you that you need to be working on a copy of you family file ... just in case!
--
Jenny M Benson