Janet,

Your question is very vague and I wonder if you could be more specific. Windows
and Vista operate quite differently and store data in different places. When
you installed Legacy7 from the Web on your Vista machine, did you follow the
instructions for Legacy?

You say: "I did a backup on my desktop with XP and Legacy 6 with all of my
family files on a DVD"

Presumably you mean that on your PC, which is XP, you copied your Legacy 6, but
do you mean the Legacy Folder as a whole or just the Data Folder?

Again when you say you copied your files onto your Laptop what files do you
mean - the whole Legcy folder, or just those in the Data folder - and where did
you copy them to, and how did you do it?

*New Tutorial* Create Standards Compliant CSS Pedigree web pages
http://www.fergys.co.uk/
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

________________________________
> Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:56:21 -0500
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Transfer Legacy files to reformatted computer?
> From: jlee882...@gmail.com
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>
> I have a similar problem to Elizabeth and need help please,
>

> I did a backup on my desktop with XP and Legacy 6 with all of my family files
> on a DVD.
>

> I loaded the files into my laptop with Vista and Legacy 7. It seems
> everything is there except the "notes" that I made for some people.. Do I
> have to start over? and if so, what do I do?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Janet
>

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Dermot McGlone wrote:
>
> Elizabeth,
>
> You can't just copy the whole Legacy folder onto yoru flash drive and
> paste it back in, that won't work.
>

> I'd just do a backup of the family file onto the USB flash drive, and
> also copy the downloaded setup file (Legacy7Setup.exe) to the same
> stick.
>
> When your computer is ready again, use that setup file to load Legacy
>
> onto it, and then restore your family file from the backup. Et Voila!
>
> If you need more info, get back on, and we'll try and guide you
> through it in baby steps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dermot.
>
> --
>

> Try out Legacy Family Tree Software today! It's FREE!!
> http://www.legacyfamilytreestore.com/?Click=1440
>

> Groucho Marx - "A child of five would understand this. Send someone
>
> to fetch a child of five."
>
> 2009/4/17 ewinpa
>

>> Could someone tell me step-by-step how to save my Legacy program and files
>> on to a USB flash drive in such a way that I can then put it back on to my
>> computer which I am having reformatted this weekend?

Share your photos with Windows Live Photos – Free.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665338/direct/01/