One of the main reasons I switched to Legacy many years ago was the facility
of its AKAs.  The majority of my entries have multiple names, mostly titles
by which they were known.  It is invaluable that I can list all of these
names and find each one almost as easily as main surname.  I wish they were
also included when adding parents.

When researching old records, Visitations, genealogies and the like, any one
of many names may be used.  It is of incalculable value to be able to go to
my Index and find the person whom I list as Humphrey de /Bohun/, 2nd Earl of
Essex, but who is referred to in research as Humphrey de Bohun, 2nd Earl of
/Hereford/, or as Humphrey de Bohun, 1st Earl of /Essex/, and several more.

It is also invaluable in creating a list of successive lords, dukes, kings,
or whatever, because I can use the place as a surname also (as above).

With more recent ancestors, name changes were not always successive,
especially because there was no spelling consistency in English until the
OED in the late 1880s.  Just read some early American wills if you haven't
already.  And that's just English!  When dealing with foreign names, it is
marvelous to be able to use Wilhelm, Willem, Guillaume, and William, for
example, as well as the mangled English attempts at reproducing foreign
surnames.

Yes, sometimes, such as when the US Immigration officials decided that my
brother-in-law's first name was not a real name, they changed it right there
on Ellis Island, it is nice to be able to date the change.

Census takers were challenged by the accents of their interviewees and their
own lack of knowledge how to spell foreign names.  That a name was different
on a census was usually a result of such rather than a true name change.  My
Quin relatives were sometimes correctly listed as Quin, but too often as
Quinn, because that's the way the census taker thought it was spelled.
There never was any actual name change.

Carolyn