You can try the OCR - but my experience is not good.  I have MANY
documents saved as jpg and (if you leave them big enough) - you can
easily zoom to see the detail with no problems.  I still think that is
the best solution.

Keith

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Pam O'Dell <pamodel...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Bill,
>
> You could check your printer information and see if an OCR file is
> included.  If so, just
> install it and when you scan the item it will give you the option to save as
> text.  Mine
> works great.
>
> Pam
>
>> Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 21:34:38 +0200
>> From: mike...@iafrica.com
>> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] How to scan and copy a text record int Legacy
>> "Events"
>>
>> Bill Rhodes wrote:
>> > I have some copies of Revolutionary War military records, typewritten
>> > from the original, which I have been trying to scan to a file, then copy
>> > & paste into Legacy "Events". I am trying to avoid time consuming
>> > re-typing. Even though I change the image from jpg to text or PDF I
>> > cannot copy them - I am unable to highlight the text and do a control c.
>> > I've tried every trick I know but no luck. What am I doing wrong and
>> > what is the correct way?
>>
>> That won't work. Scanning produces an image. To cut and paste text you
>> need to be able to convert your image into a document.
>>
>> To do that, you need an extra piece of software that performs OCR
>> (Optical Character Recognition). The basic idea is that the software
>> can, given some basic details about the image, translate individual
>> patterns of pixels into an ASCII character. Be aware, most OCR software
>> is not very good at this because of the poor images they have to work
>> from, and you'll spend a lot of time correcting what the OCR software
>> thinks it has read.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Mike Fry
>> Johannesburg.
>>

>> Legacy User Group guidelines:
>> http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp
>> Archived messages:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/
>> Online technical support: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp

Surnames: McKain, Horn, Riale, Ulrich, Erisman, Leiphart, Reed and Henry

Website: http://home.comcast.net/~geosci64
EMail: geosc...@gmail.com
McCain-McKane-O'Kane DNA Group 1