You can also scan a picture as an image and type it out using Transcript which splits the screen so you can see the image on top and type your text down below. I've done lots this way but only on relatively shorter pieces, like obits, where I want to put the text into Legacy.
-----
JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www.jgen.ws/jlog