Simple OCR used to be free. I guess they changed that. I don't type out most of my historical documents. Very rarely. I can't even think of one. What I do is scan them, crop and straighten them and attach them as images into Legacy. Then I file the originals in my paper files.
-----
JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www.jgen.ws/jlog

Bill Rhodes wrote:
I have somehow lost my original email and the replies to it, but I was told by someone that to get scanned docs into Legacy I need Optical Reader software (which makes sense) and that I could find free ones for download. After a lot of searching on Google I was never able to find completely free software - "free" usually becomes "free trial period" or "donation required", etc. I finally ordered "SIMPLE OCR" - the free version with an obligatory $25 donation. After downloading & installing - it does not work! I called them and they do _not_ support the free version. After some discussion they agreed to refund the $25. So I am back to square one. I really do not want to re-type all these records if there is a better way. I would welcome and all any further ideas or suggestions. How do the rest of you folks do it?

Bill Rhodes