>> On 5/8/09 3:42 PM, "Bill Rhodes" <wlrho...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>      Thanks to all who responded to my request for help and advice. I have
>> spent the last day or so checking them all out.
>>      To Ward & Carl - no, OCR is not included in my Scanner which is an
>> Epson Perfection  4490. To JLB, the docs I want to copy are way to long to
>> do a split screen and type. That is what I am trying to avoid. And to
>> Dennis, I have scanned as jpg. and saved to file but cannot do a c&p - not
>> possible, and I do not want to insert an image into Legacy.To John R., I
>> checked out IrisPro v.10 and it looks very good, but as you say it is
>> "spendy" - way too much for my budget. To Grover O. & Gene Y. - I downloaded
>> the Free OCR and it is easy to use and it works. The only drawback is that
>> (at least with old copies of old docs) it comes up with some strange words &
>> symbols which require a lot of correcting and cleaning up, but I may be able
>> to live with it. To Dennis K. the Abbyyusa frexpress at $50 for the download
>> version looks good. My question is, will it or any of the other for sale
>> OCR's do a better job than the FreeOCR, or do they all work the same and
>> produce innaccurate copies that have to be "cleaned up"? If Abbyy frexpress
>> produces fairly clean & accurate copies it might be worth the $50. I would
>> be interested in hearing your comments or suggestions.

Sorry for replying to someone other than the OP, but I didn't receive
his post (not plain text).

***

Some OCR software can be trialed for 30 days before buying. ABBYY
FineReader Express can't, but the Professional version can. They
probably use the same scanning engine so basic results should be
similar. And if the Professional version doesn't meet the OP's
requirements then the Express version won't either.

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools