Thanks Gene and Mike,   But......
On the Individuals Information screen, if I click the inverted triangle at the end of the location field, the master location list opens. Then, if I click Edit... and enter additional information and try to Save - I get the warning that this will change ALL records using this location. HOWEVER, if, as I said in the original post, I click the globe icon at the end of the location field on the persons Individual Information screen, for the Geo Location Database and make my edit from the Geo Location Database, the Warning does not appear, and allows the change to be made - affecting everyone using that location. Sorry, I tried to be clear about it in my description of the event but must have murkied up the waters. I evidently discovered a way to make a change that the programmers didn't think to put a "stop warning" on. Another thing - when you make a change like this, it does not change the Last Modified dates for those affected. And of course (Mike) this means that I did not turn off any of the warnings available in Options > Customize > Other. I had thought of reversing the goof as you describe, but I had made too many other changes to locations to feel comfortable that I would get it right.
Thanks again,  "Poor Jim"

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Fry" <mike...@iafrica.com>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] a new way to wreck your database
Poor Jim,

As Gene says, Legacy does try and stop you from doing this. Perhaps you've disabled the warning that is normally given. See Options--> Customise--> Other and press the button for turning the optional warning messages on or off. That should tell you.

As for recovery. Well I'd reverse what I did. I'd edit the Acorn Hill location to just specify Missouri again and make sure I applied it to all the records again. I'd then create the new Master Location record for Acorn Hill and apply this to that subset of Missouri records that it applies to.

--
Best regards,
Mike Fry