Oops! My 6.0 version is gone in my Mac. I guess that's how my hubby go it "accidentally" transferred. Now how do I proceed?

God bless,
Ellen Kramer

On Aug 31, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Kramer wrote:

I still would like to renumber my RINs and MRINs without myself as #1. I switched from Legacy 6.0 deluxe (on a Mac in Virtual PC) to Legacy 7.0 (to a Dell computer) deluxe last week but didn't see a prompt to renumber. I also lost all of my sources too in the transfer. I couldn't figure out how to get the files off of Virtual PC and my husband finally did it "by accident." I'm wondering if we should try to make a GEDCOM file of my 6.0 info, figure out how to get that out of the Mac which was the problem in the first place, and then put that into 7.0. Would that retain the sources and also give me the prompt to renumber?

We have LOTS of genealogists in one name I am working on. The first ancestor began researching it over 100 years ago and people have been working on it ever since. I was elected the new Family Historian of that side and want to work with others in a more cooperative manner. It is just like me not to have myself as #1 but also it might show a little family solidarity if I have our line organized with someone more likely as #1. The family is so large there are 21 lines with thousands of people in each line. There have been marriages between the lines etc and we need things computerized. Most is in typed or professionally printed books. I'm working on locating who has lines in genealogy software to make it easier to import into one large system for reference and each line separate for more manageable publication etc. The other person who was interested in being Family Historian wants to publish a 3- ring binder book which is what I already began. It might be a computer disk instead of a book, but so far there's so much info and so many people working on it that (and some very possessive of it) but no one yet that I know of has any filing system for it but me. It wouldn't be that tough for me to redo at this time. So should I retransfer or what? I already deleted the messages about the loss of sources. Would this correct that as well? Is everyone losing sources when they upgrade or is it just transferring between computers or what? Is it always best to load from a GEDCOM into a new version? I want to figure out what I did wrong so I can be of help to others in the family that I am influencing to switch to Legacy.

God bless,
Ellen Kramer