From: Brian Beddor <bbed...@japsolson.com>
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:17:56 PM
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Geo Location Database - Updates

Hi Sherry,
Thanks for explaining.

I have a question on using the Geo Location feature.  I understand when
entering in the "Place/location" we should always allow for 4 spots and
separate each with a comma -- so in the USA it would be: city, county,
state, country.  I also understand that if we don't know one of the
fields that we leave it blank but still put in the comma for a place
holder.  Then we can click on the little blue earth icon and it will do
a search for the location and put in the latitude and longitude.

My question is how does that work when the name of a location changes
over time?
Let's take the town of Derry, Rockingham, New Hampshire, USA.  If I have
an event that happens today and I put this in the place/location and hit
the Geo Location then it works beautifully giving me the latitude and
longitude.  And, if I don't know the name of the county, after hitting
the Geo Location icon it will do a search and tell me the county is
Rockingham.

However, the town wasn't always called Derry -- it used to be
"Londonderry".  And before it was "Londonderry" it was "Nutfield". It
was in 1722 that the name was changed from Nutfield to Londonderry.  And
at that time there was no United States -- and the county wasn't
Rockingham. It wasn't until 1769 that there was the county of
Rockingham.

I also know that we should record place names as they were at that time.
So, what should I be putting in the place location for the different
times?
And, if I'm entering the place for -- say 1700 would I put "Nutfield, ,
New Hampshire, England"? And if I do, how do I get the Geo Location to
work for that that place/time?

Thanks,
Brian