Sherry,
I don't download GEDCOMs found on Ancestry or RootsWeb, but I do sometimes
accept hints and add information from other trees into my Ancestry tree on a
limited basis - one or two generations at a time, and then do my due
diligence to confirm the data.  It's not unusual to find multiple public
trees that have the same, erroneous data, that was just recopied by others.
 I usually try to find ones that have some source information listed.  If I
find something that is incorrect, I will usually try to contact the owner of
the information and offer to collaborate.

I enter everything manually into my Legacy database when I'm confident that
what I have is real.   Periodically - maybe twice a year, I might download a
GEDCOM of my personal ancestry tree, and then compare it to my Legacy
information looking for source information I may have forgotten to enter
into Legacy, or where I may have mistyped something.

Tom