Mary Carpenter wrote
Hi!  I?m sure most of you can guess that I?m a new user by this question ? can anyone explain to me when I should use a location and when I should use an address?  I?m having a little trouble understanding the differences and where my GPS and location/address notes should go.  It seems like I?ve been doing it a bit differently on every individual and I think I better regroup before I get too far along.

Ha ha! One of the great Differences of Opinion on LUG (along with how to record Census information, where to split Master Sources and a few others.)

Really it is up to you which you choose to do, but I do strongly suggest that you decide on one system and stick to it. Personally, I put the entire address into the Location field, mainly because I like how this presents in Reports. I did start off using the Address field together with the Location field but it came out on Reports as something like "He was born in Birkenhead, Cheshire, England (3 Oxton Road)" which is not nearly as elegant as "He was born at 3 Oxton Road, Birkenhead, Cheshire, England."

Where you put Notes about Locations rather depends on whether or not you want them to print. If it's general information about a place such as a town, you won't want it to print every time that town name appears, but if it's specific to a particular Event which took place there, you might want it to print the once. I *think* I am right in saying that anything on the Notes tab in Event Addresses will not print. If you want such information included in Reports, you could use the Birth/Baptism/Death/Burial Notes, as appropriate or include the information in the Notes field of other Events, in which case it will print just the once.

I think it would be useful to be able to add Notes to Locations and have an option to print these on a Location Report.
--
Jenny M Benson