I'm testing out the free version of Legacy 7, version 7.0.0.109 build date 1
Sept 2009 on a vista operating system on HP Pavilion dv6000 lap top. I built
the data with gedcom file from Family Tree Builder program and then was
adding in information on other people manually. I am not having a problem
with any of the information transferred through gedcom. I noticed the
problem when I began to type in manually a few newspaper or census
information using the source writer option. So the problem I having is with
those sources created using the source writer. The ones with a bullet in
front of them.

I have entered in four or five obituaries and several census records this
way. I use the source writer to create the master source and click on master
source text tab and enter in the information from the obituary or census
record into the master source text box. Once the master source was created
then I save it. Then for the next event for a certain person, I will select
the newly created master source for any event it pertains to that person.
Such as birth, death, parent relationship or residence information. Usually
an obituary will deal with about 15 to 20 people with an average of two or
three events per person. I will select this master source for each event
about each person.

I didn't notice the problem right away because I actually I don't lose what
I typed in right away because I can see it under a person's assignment
source screen under a box labeled Output: Master Text. Since I seen it
displayed on this screen, there was no reason to go back and check in the
master source to see if I could find the information under the master source
text tab and box. Why would I check for something I can see? It's there in
the assigned person's screen under Output: master source text. Then I
noticed a misspelled word in one of bits on information and I thought I
would simply go out into the master source text and change that one word. I
hit the button edit master source from the person's assigned source screen
and when I went to view the text to change the word, there is nothing in the
master source text box to edit. It's empty. This has happened on every
single master source that I created with the source writer option. Maybe I
thought I looking in the wrong place, so I saved the master source and the
text disappeared. That means I was in the right place because I just
overwrote my information with the blank box in the master source text box.
So I learned that if I save that master source box when I find it empty, it
overwrites the master source with nothing and I lose what I typed. But if I
cancel out of the master source and then go back to the person's assigned
source screen under the output: master text the information that I typed in
the first time is still there. I can't edit it which is a problem for me. I
don't have a problem as long as I never want to change a single word or
letter or number in what I first typed. But since I have a tendency to
switch letters when I type, I'm going to need to go and fix misspelled words
and incorrect numbers and letters. I don't always notice the misspelled
words the first time.

So that is where I sit right now. I can see what I typed into the master
text through the person's assigned source screen and the information stays
there as long as I don't go back in and edit the master source. I can't
figure out why I can't edit the information. I have several master sources
were a flipped letters and incorrect date when my fingers went over to far.
So right now, some of my data is no good because it is wrong and I can't
correct it. I could remove them and redo every source I typed in through the
past two or three weeks and never use the source writer option again but I
really don't want to do this. It would be a lot of work.

Thanks, Judy