I tried Dropbox and found it be OK, but the free version (2 gb limit)
wasn't enough to hold my family files and media files. If you want to
pay for added capacity it is a great offsite option.

I'm currently using Windows Live Sync, which automatically syncs my
netbook to my desktop, with no file size limitations, all for free.  I
put my media in the Legacy data folder, then set Live Sync to sync it
with the data folder on my desktop.