On 2010/03/08 16:04, James Cook wrote:
> I've been struggling through this same issue lately, and the level of
> detail in this thread is very nice.  Thank you all!  I'm new, so take
> this for what it is, but I've a few thoughts to add.

SNIP

> 3)  I'm not as detailed in my Location at this point.  This post has
> me wondering if maybe I should go so far.  Here's what I do (note, I
> only have U.S. places at this time).
>
> City - Place Name, County, State, Country
> Ex.  Moore - Smith Cemetery, Cleveland, Oklahoma, USA  (<== I just
> pulled that out of air, may not be exactly right)
> I then add 3 or 4 lines of address info. to the notes for this
> location, and add any expanded details to notes inside privacy tags [[
>    ]].

Careful! You're starting to get hung up on the poorly-designed, 4-part,
US-centric location. :-)

> Why?:  This format allows me to attach the same location to everyone
> related to it.  In this case everyone buried in Smith Cemetery.  I can
> tag this location, and run a Location Report to see all the people
> attached to this location as a group.  When I do a road trip through
> Oklahoma, I can tag all special places in Oklahoma and see all the
> individuals grouped by place (cemeteries, churches, etc.).

That's what everybody else aims for - consistency. Those of use outside
of the US are less inclined to adhere to a standard that does not really
apply to the rest of the world.

> So finally, my question - I am liking the idea of adding plot numbers,
> street information, etc to the Location, but I think this would break
> the grouping I get on the Location report.  Is there any way to do
> both?  I guess that means is there any way each individual can have
> unique locations, but somehow tell Legacy or the Location Report that
> multiple locations are the same place?

Read the on-line help carefully, and you'll see that despite the
plugging of the 4-part, US-centric location, a location can consist of
between 1 and 9 different pieces. Throw away the Geo-DB - which is what
ties you in to the 4-part locations - and liberate yourself from this
location-tyranny!

--
Regards,
Mike Fry