From: Judy [mailto:eldestdaugh...@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:43 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: Re: RE: Re: [LegacyUG] Source Detail was (correction re:
Show List)

Thanks Ron.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I can live with it.  I consider
myself a splitter, so if I have a source say - 1880 Federal Population
Census of Michigan (which never changes) I can select it from my Master
Source list, and use it as a specific source for (say in one case, the head
of the household), adding the county, Township, page and date to the source
detail and save it to the clip board.  I then like to paste the clipboard
source to each family member, adding the "comments/text" for each member of
the family in that given census enumeration i.e. age, gender, relationship
and occupation.  In theory, I thought the clipboard source should maintain
its integrity and not change (the blank) text/comments field I originally
pasted to it.  Oh well, I can live with it.  Thanks for your input.

Judy

Judy,

I haven't. As far as I know it has always worked like this, and to be honest
I prefer it. Often when adding a comment I will wish to use it again, for
example if I use a child's birth certificate to establish the parents I will
use it for both the father and mother.

I know it is there,  so it isn't a big deal to remember that I must delete
the comment before reusing. I admit to forgetting now and again, but I
consider that to be my problem and not the program's, and I guess I would
get more annoyed by repeatably having to put something into that section
because the program has deleted it. BTW. I have always thought of  those
additional sections as part of the Detail.

I look at the the Master Source as being something which will be absolutely
the same for all users of that Master Source ie. something which will
*never* be changed whereas everything else which relates to an individual,
or only a specific number of individuals, I consider to be the Detail.

Whilst I am at it, and as an example, let's consider censuses, which
currently are the subject of another thread. I am a lumper so my Master
Source contains nothing other than (say) 1891 Census England + census
reference, with (say) Ancestry as the Repository (and it annoys me that the
Repository is no longer part of the Detail). Everything else which I wish to
include is in the Detail (including the Comments etc.). Works perfectly,
even if I have to create a new Master Source should I use Findmypast! Shame
on you Legacy <grin>.

Ron Ferguson

Completely revised and rewritten:
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
And the Fergusons of N.W. England