You can post souces on newFamilySearch - but they are not required.

It has been doing a good job of consolidating information from various LDS
sources (a HUGE process of course) as well as anything people submit or put
up.... but it is an interesting process because there may be a few people
working on an individual's information, or there may be hundreds or
thousands of people working on it.  I believe that is why most of Utah, even
if LDS, have not yet been included in the beta, because of the number of
people doing genealogy on the same people...   Basically there can be
hundreds of submitters of same/similar information, and getting it
consolidated correctly is hard.

A lot of the stuff already on newFamilySearch doesn't have source
information to primary or even what I would call a secondary source....  a
lot of the current source information just ways which LDS information
database it came from - and for a lot the submitter name (which for a lot of
the old stuff (ie submitted to an LDS database a long time ago) is just a
code.  You are able to declare yourself the submitter of information that
just has a code for the submitter name if you have a reasonable expectation
of having been that person.   (ie, I have declared myself to be submitter
#whatever) to some stuff that was submitted to the Ancestral File, as I did
submit stuff back then, and the information being displayed from that
submitter looked like it probably would match what I had back then....