From: Heather Stovold <hstov...@gmail.com>
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Sent: Tue, May 4, 2010 12:28 pm
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Family Search Integration

You can post souces on newFamilySearch - but they are not required.

It has been doing a good job of consolidating information from various
LDS sources (a HUGE process of course) as well as anything people
submit or put up.... but it is an interesting process because there may
be a few people working on an individual's information, or there may be
hundreds or thousands of people working on it.  I believe that is why
most of Utah, even if LDS, have not yet been included in the beta,
because of the number of people doing genealogy on the same people...
Basically there can be hundreds of submitters of same/similar
information, and getting it consolidated correctly is hard.

A lot of the stuff already on newFamilySearch doesn't have source
information to primary or even what I would call a secondary
source....  a lot of the current source information just ways which LDS
information database it came from - and for a lot the submitter name
(which for a lot of the old stuff (ie submitted to an LDS database a
long time ago) is just a code.  You are able to declare yourself the
submitter of information that just has a code for the submitter name if
you have a reasonable expectation of having been that person.   (ie, I
have declared myself to be submitter #whatever) to some stuff that was
submitted to the Ancestral File, as I did submit stuff back then, and
the information being displayed from that submitter looked like it
probably would match what I had back then....