You've certainly got a point and it's interesting to hear from a newer
user what you're looking for. I found the photo situation in Legacy
frustrating (a long time ago) and mostly gave up trying to use it. I do
still attach images to source detail under the Multimedia tab. And
individual pictures in the individual galleries but only one each. I
remember when I started out I put a lot more.

What slowed me down there was realizing how photos do, and mostly don't,
print out in reports. Even if you have several pictures of your Dad, for
instance, what are you going to do with them in Legacy? Have you tried
printing an 'album' with them? It doesn't go well, IMO. Source
documents, in particular, need to be blown up to about 300% to even be
read and that's at one photo per page. Pictures attached to Events will
show up in some reports as small thumbnails. Printing a list of Source
documents will give you pages of little thumbnails of census records, etc.

You can attach lots of pictures into Legacy 'just for company' but test
the output options if that's what you're after instead. There are some
reports where a small thumbnail works pretty well, so I'm not saying
it's totally useless but have a look around before you go gung-ho into
attaching images.

I annotate (source if you will) all my photos in great detail using
software called Photo Mechanic. These annotations show up in other
'IPTC' software like XnView (free), Adobe, ACDSee, iTag (free version
available) .... and there are all kinds of printing options such as pdf
'albums', web albums, etc that come out looking *way* better than from
Legacy. AND any annotations added to the photos stay with them. If you
spend your time in Legacy adding descriptions, dates, captions, etc you
are going to lose this information when you're dealing with these photos
outside of Legacy. When you have hundreds, and even thousands of photos,
you're /really/ going to find out what 'doing it twice' is.

Just trying to give you a head's up and some perspective.
-----
JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www.jgen.ws/jlog